Tuesday, February 10, 2009

To the Ones Who Know :)

Blue, yellow, purple,
Aqua, bronze, cranberry.
Endless lights, peeping, from behind
Floating wisps of frosty snow clouds
Welcome me, to this land of plenty.

In seven inches of foamy snow,
In two-block long shopping malls,
In abundant garbaging of foods,
I found -
Things I didnt know...

Luscious strawberries, a whole pound.
I never knew bananas could grow
Over one foot long.

That on a white cotton shirt
("Anne Klein", oh my!)
I would ever spend
God-forsaken Rs. 6000.

Warm water, two feet deep.
I never knew how weightless
Being weightless would feel.

That a valentine red coat
("Nine West", oh my!)
Would innocently support
A "MADE IN CHINA" tag.

Human sea, endless; fathomless.
I never knew how different
A sea could be from another.

That the moon, oval and gold
("Universal", oh yeah!)
Would look quite the same
From 11th floor of Club Quarters.

In this land of plenty,
I found too,
Things I knew...
Things I'd always known...
Things I'd always know...

Blocks of concrete,
Mounds of chocolate,
Aisles of jewelry,
Long racks of clothes...
Please my wondering eyes,
Coz in my tiny heart I fold,
Some memories to be shared...
In the eye of my camera, catch
Some photos to be mounted...
In every passing moment, breathe
The prayers of some people...

My dear family, "I love you".

Feb 9th, 2009.


Dedicated to my parents, siblings and dear bhanja.

2 comments:

Soumya said...

In this land of plenty,
I found too,
Things I knew...
Things I'd always known...
Things I'd always know...


Wonderful Madeeha. Its so good to see how bluntly can we miss our family. And that is what is life all about. To be, To see. And when all the 'things' stop surprising us, the same old moon and mother - we long for them.

p.s. -> Surely you are giving some heartaches here with such description of your happy living. Lol. Take care.

jay said...

awww :)