Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Rebirth of Venus



Venus, O goddess of beauty,
what great knowing lends
such intense gravity
to your sad tearless eyelids?
With intimidating finality,
they cautiously clothe,
those deep dark eyes.

I stare a little unsure
into your steady veiled eyes.
(a fathomless calm sea
where sailors drift eternally)
Eyes that steal my wistful gaze,
from your flowing gold tresses.


Some grave grave wisdom,
of...
what was,
what is,
what shall follow -
dims these sunstones
to honey hazel;
smooths like ironed silk
(or starched cotton?)
some pleats that once were
some crinkles at their corners.


Why do you not smile?
An unwelcome rebirth they say...
In deed -
who from the heavens would wish,
carrying tablets of once-lived fate,
to walk again...
this sorry sorry world.



Sep 30th, '08.

3 comments:

Usha Pisharody said...

Some grave grave wisdom,
of...
what was,
what is,
what shall follow -

Even without a picture to match, your unmatched expressions do lend such beauty! A beautiful painting in words too!

Madeeha said...

Dear Usha, I am honored...to say the very least.

I offer to you what I can - my gratitude :)

jay said...

*sighs deeply*